DEWEY PAUL MOFFITT / DEWEY PAUL BAND BIO
International touring singer-songwriter Dewey Paul Moffitt is an accomplished recording artist, author, and concert promoter. He is the visionary behind his Colorado-based Dewey Paul Band. Their Americana sound also features a rotating cast of all-star musicians.
Boasting an industry resume' with more than twenty years of outstanding achievements, Moffitt primarily focuses his energy on creating and performing in the live concert environment. The resulting sound is pure improv-influenced Americana, or "Americana Blues" as he calls it.
"I would consider it lyrically driven folk rock with splashes of improvisational jamming thrown in every so often. It seems everyone has the need to compare you to someone and I hear a lot of people say Lou Reed, Petty, Springsteen and Dylan. It's certainly an honor when I hear those things." Moffitt says.
The Dylan influence seems like an obvious one, considering Moffitt often fronts a few all-star cover bands and projects paying tribute to Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, and Jerry Garcia (Garcia Van Dylan, Postcards Of The Hanging, Dylan66). He hosts an annual touring charitable show, the International Bob Dylan Tribute Festival, honoring the music of Dylan.
2011's "CALE: A Tribute to J.J. Cale" CD features Moffitt performing all the instruments himself, ala Todd Rundgren style. It is the world's first and only solo tribute album to legendary Tulsa blues musician J.J. Cale (After Midnight, They Call Me the Breeze, Cocaine, etcetera). The project was also completely funded by fans through the crowdsourcing website Pledge Music (London, UK). Moffitt has recently performed internationally in Ireland, the UK, and parts of Europe.
In 2014, Moffitt released a memoir chronicling his formative years called Bohemian Ghosts: A Memoir, which recounts the authors many adventures in the psychedelic Grateful Dead and Jam Band scene (Allmans, Phish, Panic, Blues Traveler, Pfunk). From his parking lot days to working backstage, the book examines how that wild counter-culture world impacted his early adult years and allowed him to discover his passion for the concert industry. Included are wonderful, if sometimes embarrassing, tales that will interest you as music fans and fellow travelers, and there are even some shocking and juicy romantic stories you are certain to enjoy.
"On one hand the (music) business is extremely harsh and unforgiving, and on the other hand when you are fortunate enough to participate in that magical exchange with an audience, I have found nothing more rewarding than that. Music is the medicine for the human soul, and I cannot imagine a life without it." Moffitt says.
Moffitt's latest offering is an acoustic solo album entitled: "Viva La Résistance," which is his interpretation of various protest songs, both originals and covers (Nick Lowe, Jackson Browne, and others). Dewey Paul Band has four previous releases: "Alachua Summit" (2015), "Cale (A Tribute To J.J. Cale)" (2011), "Ancient Heart" (2009), and "On The Devil's Highway" (2008).
In addition to Dewey's annual tribute to Bob Dylan, which started in 2005 and continues today, Moffitt also performs in an all-star Colorado reenactment of The Band's famous Last Waltz concert (over 13 years running now). Additionally he has performed and jammed as a guest on stage with nationally touring bands Jerry Joseph, Kris Lager Band, Lubriphonic, Paul Benjaman Band, Steepwater Band, Yo Mama's Big Fat Booty Band, JGB's Melvin Seals, among countless others.
CURRENT BAND MEMBERS (various lineups will occur):
- Dewey Paul Moffitt: guitars, vocals
- Jessica Rose Moidel: fiddle, vocals
- Tim Steele: bass, vocals
- Jeff St. Andrew: bass
- Tyler Easton: bass, vocals
- Miles Guzman: harmonica, vocals
- Walter Darnell Holland: saxophone, flute
- Michael Chiesa: saxophone
- Jimmy Chiesa: trumpet
- Matty Workman: keyboards
- Christopher Zaragosa: percussion
- Joseph Covington: drums
- Andy Clapp: drums
- Andy Sweetser: drums
- Ben E. King: drums
Rest in peace: Arnie J. Green: bass, guitar, vocals
OFFICIAL CD DISCOGRAPHY (Does not represent internet-only releases)
- 2018 - DEWEY PAUL BAND "Americana Blood Whiskey Manifesto"
- 2017 - DEWEY PAUL MOFFITT "Viva La Résistance"
- 2015 - DEWEY PAUL BAND "Alachua Summit"
- 2011 - DEWEY PAUL presents "Cale" (A tribute to JJ Cale)
- 2009 - DEWEY PAUL BAND "Ancient Heart"
- 2008 - DEWEY PAUL BAND "On The Devil's Highway"
- 2007 - DYLAN66 "Live" (promotional release)
- 2006 - DEWEY DECIBEL SYSTEM "Henry's Groove Collective"
- 2006 - PARAPALOOZA IV (TRACK #2 DEWEY DECIBEL SYSTEM "Henry's Groove")
- 2005 - DEWEY DECIBEL SYSTEM "Utica Street"
- 2004 - DEWEY DECIBEL SYSTEM "Bohemian Ghosts"
- 2000 - DEWEY DECIBEL SYSTEM "The Red One"
- 1995/2000/2003 - DEWEY DECIBEL SYSTEM a/k/a/ DEWEY & FRIENDS a/k/a DEWEY PAUL MOFFITT "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"
DEWEY PAUL MOFFITT INDUSTRY SUMMARY
Goat soup & WHISkey tavern • keystone, Co / put-in-bay,oh
- Manager / Marketing Director / Talent Buyer
GOTHIC THEATRE • ENGLEWOOD, CO
- 2012–2013, 2000–2002
- Production Manager / Chief Audio Engineer
ORIENTAL THEATRE • DENVER, CO
- Managing Partner / Talent Buyer
PEPSI CENTER / KROENKE SPORTS ENTERPRISES • DENVER, CO
- AV Engineer
PERFORMANCE INTERNATIONAL / LODO MUSIC FESTIVAL • DENVER, CO
- Festival Director
NOBODY IN PARTICULAR PRESENTS / OGDEN & BLUEBIRD THEATRE • DENVER, CO
- Production Manager / Audio Engineer
stage pro • lawrence, ks
- Production Manager / Audio Engineer
HOUSE OF BLUES • NEW ORLEANS, LA
- Box Office
gainesville music alliance • GAINESVILLE, FL
- Production Director
BILL GRAHAM PRESENTS • SAN FRANCISCO, CA
- Ambience / Stagehand
great american sound / peaches / Q records • boca raton, fl
- Record store retail management